Asaram wants his deposition recorded thru video conferencing
Ahmedabad: Controversial religious Guru Asaram Bapu has again pleaded his inability to appear in person for deposition before the Commission of Enquiry probing the mysterious death of two teenagers studying in a Gurukul run by him in 2008 and suggested his statement could be recorded through video conferencing.
In an application to Justice (Retired) DK Trivedi heading the Commission of Enquiry, Asaram has said that the Commission either appoint a representative to record his statement or chairman himself could come to his Ashram in Sabarmati or it should be recorded by video conferencing.
The Commission had many times issued summons to Asaram along with his son Narayan Sai, to appear before the panel for cross-examination. However, the father-son duo always sought more time for different reasons and delayed their appearance before the Commission till date.
Trivedi Commission, which is probing the death of cousins Dipesh Vaghela and Abhishek Vaghela, has scheduled the hearing on Asaram`s application on October 23.
Asaram, in a detailed application sent through his advocate B M Gupta, cited two major incidents of violence where riots broke out between his followers and public in July, 2008 immediately after the death of two boys and in 2009 during a rally of his followers in Gandhinagar.
"...So it is not desirable for me to appear before the Commission in person for deposition, and the purpose of personal appearance can be achieved by other ways also," said Asaram in his application.
He has also expressed fear that there was a possibility of violence by anti-social elements if he is cross-examined by the Commission and offered to bear the cost of Commission`s visit to his ashram or video-conferencing.
Gujarat government had set up the Commission in July 2008 amid public furor after the two cousins were found dead on the bed of Sabarmati river. Both of them were resident students of the Ashram.
Their parents have alleged that the two boys were killed due to practice of `black magic` by Asaram and he was directly responsible for taking their life.
The Commission was asked to probe the facts and circumstances leading to the death of two boys and also to recommend suitable measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla