Asaram`s police custody extended till October 22
Gandhinagar: The Surat-based woman who has accused controversial godman Asaram of repeated sexual assaults when she was living at his Ashram, has allegedly told the police that some other women, similarly exploited, used to be taken to hospital for abortion.
A magistrate`s court here on Saturday extended the police remand of Asaram till October 22 in the case.
Magistrate A V Budh extended the remand after police sought Asaram`s custody for another 10 days, saying they needed to interrogate him regarding the facts that came to light during the initial four-day remand.
According to the remand application, the victim woman told police that other women at the Ashram, who were similarly exploited, used to be taken to hospital for abortion, and the police want to find out more about the hospital and the doctors involved.
Police also intend to subject Asaram to some medical test.
Asaram`s lawyer advocate B M Gupta did not oppose the remand application but demanded that his client should be treated fairly and be provided Ayurvedic treatment.
While the woman has accused Asaram of sexual assaults, her younger sister has levelled similar allegations against his son, Narayan Sai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister