At Agri Summit, Modi, Badal say UPA neglecting farmers
Gandhinagar: Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi and his Punjab counterpart Prakash Singh Badal on Monday came down heavily on the Congress-led UPA government for neglecting the farmers.
They were speaking at the Vibrant Gujarat Global Agriculture Summit, which is being projected as the first event of its kind in the country, in Gandhinagar.
Taking a dig at the UPA’s farm loan waiver scheme, Modi, who is shortly expected to be anointed as BJP’s prime ministerial candidate, said that schemes are announced for farm loans before the elections, but the need is to find ways to prevent the farmer from becoming indebted.
“In 20 years, 2.70 lakh farmers have committed suicide. These are shocking numbers of farmer suicides, and are linked directly to debt. Less than 30% of the total farmers get loans from banks, and the remaining have to take debts from money-lenders,” he said, and called for simplifying the process to give farm loans.
The Gujarat CM also said that 2,500 farmers are leaving farming every day and opting for other fields.
“Just imagine what the situation will be in the coming days if this continues,” he said, before talking about a host of farmer-friendly initiatives taken by the Gujarat government.
In his address, that saw him asking Modi to move beyond Gujarat, the Punjab CM too said that farmers were being ignored, and was critical of the manner in which the Central government decides the minimum support prices (MSPs) for farm produce.
“The cost of farming has gone up, but we don’t know whether the Centre takes these into consideration while fixing the MSPs. The chief ministers are not consulted in fixing the prices. Neither I, nor Modiji can do anything about it,” he said, demanding that the pricing should be independent.
“When there was a crisis in agriculture, the farmers were told to grow paddy. Now that the farmer is in crisis, shouldn’t the government come to his help?” the Punjab CM questioned. He accused the central government of showing step-motherly treatment towards farmers.
Badal too said that the farmers are under huge debts. He said that farmers in Punjab alone have a debt of more than Rs30,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'