Atrocity case: Bhatt again seeks relief from HC
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv
Bhatt on Tuesday approached the Gujarat High Court once again,
seeking relief in the alleged police atrocity case of 1990 in
which one person had died.
Bhatt has also sought a stay on all court proceedings
against him, in relation to the two-decade-old case as an
interim relief. The matter came up for hearing before Justice
J C Upadhyay, who deferred it till tomorrow.
On December 9, a fast track court in Jamkhambhalia taluka
in Jamnagar rejected Bhatt`s application of seeking deferment
on framing of charges against him.
Bhatt has contended that his criminal revision
application, filed earlier, was pending before the same court
and till it is not heard and disposed off, charges should not
be framed against him.
The court rejected Bhatt`s application and scheduled the
next hearing on December 27, when charges are likely to be
framed against him and six other accused in the case.
Bhatt today challenged the legality and validity of this
order of the Jamnagar court and contented that the order was
illegal, erroneous and contrary to the documentary evidences
produced before the court.
He has further alleged in his petition that court did not
take into consideration his criminal revision application and
plea for condonation of delay pending before the same court.
Bhatt contended that once Jamnagar court goes ahead with
framing of charges against him and other accused, his criminal
revision application would become infructuous, which violates
his right under Article 20 and 21 of the Constitution.
Bhatt has further contended that death of one person in
the case was not homicidal, based on which, he has been
alleged of murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing