Atrocity cases: Guj promises NHRC on conviction
Ahmedabad: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Chairperson K G Balakrishnan on Tuesday said that Gujarat government had assured it that state vigilance committee`s meetings to review implementation of the laws for the protection of rights of SC/STs would be held regularly.
The state also assured the high-powered delegation that it would look into the low conviction rate in Atrocity Act cases.
As per the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, the Monitoring and Vigilance Committee should meet twice a year.
The committee recently met after a gap of around two years.
Balakrishnan, who spoke to the media after an open hearing session, said that as to the low conviction rate in crimes against backward classes, "Mr B C Patel (member of NHRC) has stressed with them (Gujarat government) upon the reasons... Lack of proper police investigation or lack of action from police."
NHRC also asked the Gujarat government to formulate a contingency plan for the benefits of victims of social boycott.
"We were told by officials that a contingency plan is in place, and we shall see to it that plan for the benefits of victims of social boycott is properly implemented," Justice Patel said.
The commission was reportedly informed by an NGO during the open hearing session that people in 77 villages had migrated due to atrocities or social boycotts by other casts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug