Atrocity cases: Guj promises NHRC to deal with low conviction
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government has promised that meetings of the state vigilance committee to review implementation of laws for protection of rights of SCs/ STs would be held regularly, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Chairperson KG Balakrishnan on Tuesday said.
The state also assured the high-powered delegation that it would look into the low conviction rate in Atrocity Act cases.
As per the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, the Monitoring and Vigilance Committee should meet twice a year.
The committee recently met after a gap of around two years.
Balakrishnan, who spoke to the media after an open hearing session, said that as to the low conviction rate in crimes against backward classes, "Mr BC Patel (member of NHRC) has stressed with them (Gujarat government) upon the reasons... Lack of proper police investigation or lack of action from police."
NHRC also asked the Gujarat government to formulate a contingency plan for the benefits of victims of social boycott.
"We were told by officials that a contingency plan is in place, and we shall see to it that plan for the benefits of victims of social boycott is properly implemented," Justice Patel said.
The commission was reportedly informed by an NGO during the open hearing session that people in 77 villages had migrated due to atrocities or social boycotts by other casts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read