Bail plea of three 2008 blast accused rejected
Ahmedabad: A special court here has rejected
regular bail plea of three accused in the July 26, 2008 serial
blasts in the city that had claimed 57 lives.
Judge BJ Dhandha, presiding over the case, however, kept
the order on the bail plea of one more accused in the case
The Court on Monday rejected the bail plea of 2008 serial
blasts accused, Ummar Kabira, Naved Kadri and Salim Sipahi,
while kept Hasib Raza`s plea pending, on which, orders would
be passed later.
While the four accused had contended that there was no
evidence against them and they had no role to play in the
terror conspiracy, the state government had opposed their plea
contending that the four were a part of the terror conspiracy
that triggered over 20 synchronised bomb blasts across the
city on July 26, 2008.
Raza had defended himself, while the other three accused
were represented by Aziz Alvi, who argued that there was no
evidence against his clients being part of terror conspiracy.
He had further argued that there was no recovery or
discovery from his clients that could prove their involvement
in serial blasts.
Raza argued that his role, was limited to giving shelter
to absconding accused Abdus Subhan Tauqueer and others, and
was nowhere connected to the terror conspiracy.
State government had opposed the bail plea contending
that the four accused were part of the terror conspiracy and
cannot be let out on bail.
The state government had said that the accused have been
members of banned outfit SIMI and were associated with Indian
Mujahideen (IM), while being involved in the terror
Their roles may have been limited, but they were part of
a larger plot of spreading terror in Gujarat, state government
had submitted. It had further argued that granting bail to
accused in such case could hamper probe and could prove
harmful for the society.
The proceeding in the case was conducted through video
conferencing between the Sabarmati jail and the courtroom, as
the movement of accused outside jail has been restricted due
to security reasons under section 268 of Criminal Procedure
In the 2008 serial blasts case, charges have been framed
against 67 accused, while over 30 others including Riyaz and
Iqbal Bhatkal, Amir Raza Khan and Adbus Subhan Tauqueer were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Queen Elizabeth in line for pay rise
- Top six excuses man gives to REJECT woman’s proposal
- Atmosphere of ancient Mars had high levels of oxygen: NASA
- Shiv Sena mocks Amit Shah on 'Sholay' posters, BJP warns of `fitting reply`
- Tired of an unruly mane? Watch how to keep hair your straight all day long!