Banking services paralysed on Day 2 of strike in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Banking services remained crippled in Gujarat affecting financial transactions worth over Rs 40,000 crore on the second day of the general strike called by central trade unions.
However, transport services resumed from midnight as Gujarat State Road Transportation Corporation (GSRTC) employees joined duty.
"Employees of GSRTC have resumed duty since midnight and services have normalised," GSRTC secretary P D Patel said.
Clearing house operations remained suspended for day two affecting cheque clearing to the tune of around Rs 40,000 crore, as over 12,000 officers and 35,000 other banking employees boycotted work on strike call given by the United Forum for Bank Union (UFBU).
"Clearing house operations remained suspended even today disrupting financial transactions (cheque clearing) to the tune of around Rs 40,000 crore across the state," said Shankar Patel, the general secretary of State Bank of India Officer Association (SBIOA), Ahmedabad.
Bank unions are demanding an early wage revision for employees, which they say is due from November 2012. They are also opposing banking sector reforms and any plan for merger of banks.
SBI has over 1,100 branches across Gujarat, while 21 other nationalised banks are estimated to have 2,000 odd branches, an official said.
Patel said nearly 12,000 bank officers and 35,000 other banking employees continued to be on strike in Gujarat on day two.
The banks employees staged a demonstration at Dena Bank on Ashram road to protest the economic policies of the government.
However, the ATMs were operating as usual, the official claimed.
Also, around 4,500 employees of LIC across the state continued to be on strike, supporting workers of banking and other public sector industry," said SI Bhatt, the general secretary of LIC employees Union, Gujarat Division.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!