Bar boycotts court in Gandhinagar
Gandhinagar: The Gandhinagar Bar Association has announced an indefinite boycott of court proceedings following the arrest of a lawyer three days ago, its president said here Friday.
Ajitsinh Gohil told a news agency the boycott came Thursday after lawyer Deepaba Parmar was arrested by the police on charges of making a false identification. She had identified a signatory in a power of attorney document related to some land.
The notary Govind Patel, who notarised the document, is absconding, along with other accused in the case.
Parmar, who had identified these people on guarantee of a person known to her, was arrested and is in judicial custody.
Lawyers of the Bar Association said Parmar`s arrest was to "pressurise" the absconding accused.
Senior advocate PP Bihola had made representations before a district judge in this regard and sought bail for his client Parmar who is also an advocate. The case was referred to another judge who sent her to judicial custody.
Chairman of Gujarat Bar Council`s discipline committee Anil Kella said the lawyers of the Gandhinagar Bar Association should make representations with evidence before a unit judge in the high court.
He said they should also make representations with evidence before Law Minister Amit Shah if they have complaints and allegations against the judicial officers.
When asked about responsibility of a lawyer in identifying the signatories, Kella said a Supreme Court judgment states that there is no responsibility of a lawyer in identification of signatories. However, further comment can only be made after looking at the case papers, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price