Best Bakery case: 4 convicts shifted to Vadodara j
Vadodara: Four convicts of the Best Bakery case have been shifted to the central jail in the city here, official sources said on Monday.
Sanjay Thakkar, Bahadursingh Chauhan, Sanabhai Baria and Dinesh Rajbhar were shifted on Sunday from Kolhapur jail, they said.
Their life sentences, awarded by a trial court in Mumbai, were upheld by the Bombay High Court, based on the statements of four witnesses.
In the aftermath of the riots triggered by the burning of the Sabarmati Express in Godhra on February 27, 2002, 14 members of a family were killed in a mob attack on the bakery in Vadodara on March 1.
The high court had acquitted five others -- Rajubhai Baria, Pankaj Gosavi, Jagdish Rajput, Suresh alias Lalo Devjibhai Vasava and Shailesh Tadvi -- observing that there was no evidence or witness statement confirming the roles allegedly played by these accused.
After the Supreme Court order, the Best Bakery case was moved out of Gujarat to a special court in Mumbai which was the first riot-related case of Gujarat.
The nine convicts had challenged the judgement of the trial court in the Bombay High Court.
The trial court had earlier acquitted eight others accused in the case and issued perjury notices to key witness Zaheera Sheikh and other witnesses for back-tracking from their testimonies. In 2006, Sheikh, her mother Sehrunisa and sister Saherabano were convicted for perjury.
The four accused in the Best Bakery case, whose life sentences were upheld by the Bombay High Court in July, were allowed to be shifted to a prison in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya's son wins in Mumbai; Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM grabs 5 seats in Solapur