Best Bakery case: 4 convicts shifted to Vadodara jail
Vadodara: Four convicts of the Best Bakery case have been shifted to the central jail in the city here, official sources said Monday.
Sanjay Thakkar, Bahadursingh Chauhan, Sanabhai Baria and Dinesh Rajbhar were shifted on Sunday from Kolhapur jail, they said.
Their life sentences, awarded by a trial court in Mumbai, were upheld by the Bombay High Court, based on the statements of four witnesses.
In the aftermath of the riots triggered by the burning of the Sabarmati Express in Godhra on February 27, 2002, 14 members of a family were killed in a mob attack on the bakery in Vadodara on March 1.
The high court had acquitted five others -- Rajubhai Baria, Pankaj Gosavi, Jagdish Rajput, Suresh alias Lalo Devjibhai Vasava and Shailesh Tadvi -- observing that there was no evidence or witness statement confirming the roles allegedly played by these accused.
After the Supreme Court order, the Best Bakery case was moved out of Gujarat to a special court in Mumbai which was the first riot-related case of Gujarat.
The nine convicts had challenged the judgement of the trial court in the Bombay High Court.
The trial court had earlier acquitted eight others accused in the case and issued perjury notices to key witness Zaheera Sheikh and other witnesses for back-tracking from their testimonies. In 2006, Sheikh, her mother Sehrunisa and sister Saherabano were convicted for perjury.
The four accused in the Best Bakery case, whose life sentences were upheld by the Bombay High Court in July, were allowed to be shifted to a prison in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs