Best Bakery: Teesta`s former aide demands retrial
Mumbai: A former aide of activist Teesta
Setalvad has moved the Bombay High Court seeking retrial of
the 2002 Best Bakery case alleging that the latter not only
fabricated evidence and falsely implicated innocent persons
but also "managed" the witnesses.
Rais Khan Aziz Khan Pathan, in an affidavit, urged the
High Court to direct an appropriate court in Mumbai to conduct
retrial of the case and record his evidence.
Khan, former coordinator of the Citizen for Justice
and Peace, the Mumbai-based NGO headed by Teesta, requested
that notice be served on Teesta to explain her conduct and
clarify allegations of fabricating evidence in the case.
Khan even demanded lie detector and polygraph tests on
himself and Teesta to "bring out the truth".
The affidavit assumes significance as in April 2011,
Shaikh Yasmeen Banu, a key prosecution witness in the case,
had also filed an affidavit in the high court alleging she was
"lured and misguided" by Teesta into giving false testimony
against the 17 accused, of which nine were awarded life term
by a Mumbai court.
Fourteen people who had taken refuge in the Best
Bakery owned by the Shaikh family in Vadodara in Gujarat were
killed by a mob on March 1, 2002, during the post-Godhra
The appeals filed by the nine convicts in the
sensational case are pending in the Bombay High Court.
Khan contended that on instructions of Teesta, he had
in the past met Yasmeen in Baroda and requested her to shift
to Mumbai where the retrial of the case was in progress.
Yasmeen in her affidavit had accused Khan of cheating
her and other witnesses for personal gains, which was denied
Khan contended that he used to get funds from Teesta
to organise press conferences for riot victims and meet
He alleged that getting payment for the victims was
never Teesta`s priority as she was only concerned to ensure
that the witnesses get money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015