Bhatt case: Guj HC restrains lawyer`s arrest
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has
restrained police from arresting a lawyer, who had prepared an
affidavit in Sanjiv Bhatt case, till Monday.
Advocate V H Kanara had prepared the affidavit of
constable K D Pant in which the latter alleged that Bhatt made
him forcibly sign on a document.
Bhatt has been arrested in the case and is in jail after
Pant had filed an FIR against him.
Kanara approached Justice R H Shukla on Saturday night
fearing that the police would arrest him, another lawyer who
is representing Kanara, B M Mangukia said.
Justice Shukla has given a restraining order on Kanara`s
arrest till Monday and will hear his plea on that day,
Pant in his FIR had alleged that Bhatt took him to meet
state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia at his residence.
Modhwadia also assured him that there was no need to worry and
he should do what Bhatt was asking.
"The police are putting pressure on Kanara, to give a
statement against state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia in
the case and they wanted him to say that apart from Bhatt,
Congress president was also involved in preparing the
affidavit," Mangukia said.
"Kanara had refused to give such a statement after which
he feared that police would arrest him and that is the reason
we had to approach the high court justice in the middle
of the night," Mangukia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video