Bhatt case: Lawyer alleges police conspiracy
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has
restrained police from arresting a lawyer who had prepared an
affidavit in Sanjiv Bhatt case, till Monday.
Advocate VH Kanara had prepared the affidavit of
constable KD Pant, in which the latter alleged that Bhatt
made him sign by force. Bhatt has been arrested in the case
and is in jail after Pant had filed an FIR against him.
Kanara approached Justice R H Shukla on Saturday night
fearing that the police would arrest him, another lawyer who
is representing Kanara, B M Mangukia, said.
Justice Shukla has given a restraining order on
Kanara`s arrest till Monday and will hear his plea on that day
in the court, Mangukia stated.
Pant in his FIR had alleged that Bhatt took him to
meet state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia at his
residence. Modhwadia also assured him that there was no need
to worry and he should do what Bhatt was asking.
"The police were putting pressure on Kanara, to give a
statement against state Congress president Arjun Modhvadia in
the case and they wanted him to say that apart from Bhatt,
Congress president was also involved in preparing the
affidavit," Mangukia said.
Kanara had refused to give such a statement, after
which he feared that police would arrest him and that is the
reason we had to approach the high court justice in the middle
of the night, Mangukia said.
Constable K D Pant, who was working under Bhatt during
2002 riots, had registered an FIR against Bhatt for
threatening a public servant, fabricating false evidence and
According to Pant`s FIR, on June 16 he got a call from
Bhatt asking him to come to his residence for some work.
When Pant reached there, Bhatt informed him that Amicus
Curie from the Supreme Court was coming on June 18 and they
had to meet him to record a statement, as per the FIR.
Pant alleged in the FIR that Bhatt asked him to tell the
Amicus curie that SIT had forcefully recorded his statement.
When Pant resisted, Bhatt threatened him and said that there
was no need to worry if he did what he was told.
Then Bhatt took Pant to meet Modhvadia. After meeting
Modhvadia, Bhatt took Pant to an office of an advocate and
notary near the Gujarat High Court and made him sign two sets
Bhatt was arrested on September 30 and order on his bail
plea will be delivered by the court on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter