Bhatt case: Lawyer gets anticipatory bail
Ahmedabad: A local court on Friday granted
anticipatory bail to advocate V H Kanara, who had prepared the
affidavit in IPS officer Sajiv Bhatt`s case.
The affidavit was of constable K D Pant, who alleged that
Bhatt had made him sign it by force.
The lawyer had approached the court early this week,
after he anticipated arrest following inclusion of section 120
B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC in Bhatt`s case, by the
Sessions judge V K Vyas, hearing the case, granted
anticipatory bail to Kanara on a bond of Rs 10,000 and a few
These include that Kanara should remain present before
the investigating officer in the case on October 25 for
questioning and should also remain present for interrogation
whenever called for.
The court also said that if police wanted, they could
seek Kanara`s remand by making an application in the court
concerned, which would evaluate it on merit.
Kanara has also been asked not to contact or try to
coerce any of the witnesses in the case. He has been asked to
submit his passport in the court.
The court observed that Kanara, being an advocate, could
not run away from the investigation. Also, since he has
already recorded statement with the police in this case, it
shows that he has cooperated with the probe.
During the hearing, the Gujarat government had alleged
that Bhatt, Congress president Arjun Modhvadia and Kanara had
conspired to make Pant sign the false affidavit, regarding
Bhatt`s presence in the February 27, 2002 meeting called by
Chief Minister Narendra Modi with regard to Godhra train
In his defence, Kanara had contended that this was a case
of false implication and the he has been framed because he did
not implicate Modhvadia in the case at the behest of police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown