Bhatt gets relief from Guj HC in 1990 case
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv
Bhatt Thursday got relief as the Gujarat High Court quashed a lower court`s order in the 1990 case of alleged police atrocity, and directed that Bhatt`s revision petition be decided in six weeks.
Bhatt approached High Court last month against Jamnagar
district court`s order rejecting his plea for condemnation of
delay in filing revision petition in the two decades old case.
Rejection of Bhatt`s application by Jamnagar court had
paved way for the framing of charges against him in the case,
which is related to death of a person due to alleged police
torture when Bhatt was posted in Jamnagar.
Justice Anant S Dave today set aside the Jamnagar court`s
order, and said the lower court must hear and decide the
revision petition filed by Bhatt within six weeks.
Bhatt`s lawyer I H Sayed said that the Jamnagar court had
rejected his application saying that trial was already much
delayed, so the revision petition was not maintainable.
The High Court today observed that the rejection of
Bhatt`s application by the lower court was unwarranted and his
revision petition was maintainable, advocate Sayed said.
Bhatt has been in the news for the last couple of years
for his allegations against Chief Minister Narendra Modi with
regard to 2002 communal riots.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5