`Bhatt, Modhvadia conspired against constable`
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government on Thursday
alleged that suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, Congress
president Arjun Modhvadia and advocate V H Kanara conspired to
make a police constable sign false affidavit.
The statement was made in the court of sessions judge V K
Vyas, hearing the anticipatory bail plea of Kanara. The court
order on the application is likely to come tomorrow.
Kanara had prepared the affidavit of constable K D Pant
who alleged Bhatt had made him sign it by force.
During the hearing, public prosecutor Pravin Trivedi
claimed that the lawyer had conspired with Bhatt and Modhvadia
to make Pant affirm a false affidavit knowing that it was an
The state government also filed an affidavit before the
court opposing Kanara`s anticipatory bail plea and alleged
that Modhvadia and Kanara had a discussion before preparation
of the affidavit.
Trivedi contended that Kanara, being a lawyer, was aware
that the act was illegal but despite that he became party to
it, hence he should not be granted anticipatory bail.
He told the court that according to Kanara`s statements
the conspiracy began when Bhatt deposed before the Nanavati
Commission earlier this year.
Meanwhile, Kanara`s counsel B M Mangukiya alleged that it
was a case of false implication and the lawyer has been framed
because he did not implicate Modhvadia at the behest of
According to Pant`s FIR, Bhatt had taken him to Kanara`s
office near Gujarat High Court on the night of June 16, where
the affidavits were already prepared and he was forced to sign
it without reading it.
Bhatt was arrested based on Pant`s FIR against him in
June, accusing him of threatening a public servant,
fabricating false evidence, and wrongful confinement. The IPS
officer was granted bail by a local court on Monday.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards