‘Bhatt never worked as staff officer under me’
Ahmedabad: Former Gujarat DGP RB Sreekumar
today denied before the Nanavati Commission that suspended IPS
officer Sanjiv Bhatt had worked as a staff officer under him
during the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
"... Bhatt had earlier stated that `I was working as
staff officer to the then ADGP Intelligence Mr RB Sreekumar`.
This statement is not true," he said in a letter to the
There was no post of staff officer in State Intelligence
Bureau (SIB) and ADGP (Intelligence) had no powers to create
any such post, Sreekumar said, adding that there is no
provision for the post of staff officer in the Gujarat Police
Manual or state government regulations.
"Even though Bhatt claimed that he was working as a staff
officer to GC Raiger, my predecessor, Raiger did not inform
me about any such system or about somebody serving as staff
officer as informal arrangement. So I did not utilise any
officer in SIB as my staff officer," he said.
He also stated that Bhatt did not accompany him in any of
the conferences or meetings chaired by senior officers and the
chief minister, which were attended by him, during the riots.
Sreekumar was supervising the work of SIB from April 9,
2002 to October 18, 2002 and at that time Bhatt, then an SP-
rank officer, was serving as Deputy Commissioner of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened