BJP ally Shiv Sena to contest Gujarat Assembly election
Mumbai: Shiv Sena on Monday said it will field candidates in BJP-ruled Gujarat, where Assembly election is due by the year-end, indicating fissures in the two decades -old saffron alliance.
"Shiv Sena will contest the upcoming Gujarat Assembly election. We are making preparations in this regard," party spokesperson Sanjay Raut told reporters here.
Raut, however, did not say how many seats the party will contest in Gujarat, which has 182 Assembly segments.
Sena is an ally of BJP in Maharashtra and also at the national level where it is part of the NDA.
The announcement to contest poll in Gujarat comes a day after Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray said senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj will make a "great choice" for the Prime Minister`s post.
Raut also took a dig at Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, saying he was Minister of State in PMO when coal block allocation files were signed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply