BJP ally Shiv Sena to contest Gujarat Assembly election
Mumbai: Shiv Sena on Monday said it will field candidates in BJP-ruled Gujarat, where Assembly election is due by the year-end, indicating fissures in the two decades -old saffron alliance.
"Shiv Sena will contest the upcoming Gujarat Assembly election. We are making preparations in this regard," party spokesperson Sanjay Raut told reporters here.
Raut, however, did not say how many seats the party will contest in Gujarat, which has 182 Assembly segments.
Sena is an ally of BJP in Maharashtra and also at the national level where it is part of the NDA.
The announcement to contest poll in Gujarat comes a day after Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray said senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj will make a "great choice" for the Prime Minister`s post.
Raut also took a dig at Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, saying he was Minister of State in PMO when coal block allocation files were signed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!