BJP ally Shiv Sena to contest Gujarat Assembly election
Mumbai: Shiv Sena on Monday said it will field candidates in BJP-ruled Gujarat, where Assembly election is due by the year-end, indicating fissures in the two decades -old saffron alliance.
"Shiv Sena will contest the upcoming Gujarat Assembly election. We are making preparations in this regard," party spokesperson Sanjay Raut told reporters here.
Raut, however, did not say how many seats the party will contest in Gujarat, which has 182 Assembly segments.
Sena is an ally of BJP in Maharashtra and also at the national level where it is part of the NDA.
The announcement to contest poll in Gujarat comes a day after Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray said senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj will make a "great choice" for the Prime Minister`s post.
Raut also took a dig at Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, saying he was Minister of State in PMO when coal block allocation files were signed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley