BJP asks EC to disallow GPP candidates to use `bat` symbol
Ahmedabad: Gujarat BJP has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission (EC) that newly-formed Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) candidates should not be allowed to fight the polls using the the symbol of a bat as it "violated" EC`s instructions.
GPP is a party floated recently by BJP rebel and former chief minister Keshubhai Patel. The party was given the symbol of the bat by EC recently.
"GPP violated two EC provisions when it has been given a symbol of `bat` to use in the elections," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman claimed.
"EC had given the symbol to GPP on the condition that it will field candidates in all 182 constituencies and submit form `A` and `B` required to file nomination papers of each candidate to the state chief electoral officer as well as to the Returning Officer of the constituency. However, GPP violated both conditions and so we have complained to EC regarding the issue," Sitharaman said.
"Our demand is that GPP candidates should be given individual symbols in each constituency as they failed to comply with EC instructions," she said.
BJP`s legal cell head Parindu Bhagat said they have filed complaints with every Returning Officer of all constituencies going to polls in phase one and also with the state chief electoral officer`s office in Gandhinagar.
Meanwhile, BJP also announced they will be holding rallies of Chief Minister Narendra Modi at 26 places simultaneously using 3D holographic technology on November 29.
Elections will be held in Gujarat in two phases on December 13 and December 17 while votes will be counted on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi