BJP leader fails to get US nod for Modi
Washington: Bureaucrat-turned-politician K J Alphons, who tried to convince US lawmakers to revoke visa restrictions on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, has failed to receive any firm commitment the issue.
However, he exuded confidence that the US may change its stand soon.
A national executive member of the BJP, Alphons primarily came to the US to attend the Annual Prayer Breakfast with US President Barack Obama on February 7.
In addition to that he has been meeting Senators, Congressmen, officials and academicians, besides addressing speaking at the prestigious Harvard University.
"I have been telling that if they do not invite Modi now and revoke its policy of denying him a visa, it might be too late for the United States as he is headed for a much larger role in national politics," Alphons said.
He said Modi is the most business like politician he has even seen and that he saw a greater role for him in Indian politics.
Alphons said that he has not received any firm commitment from US lawmakers on the change in US policy but exuded confidence that this will happen soon.
Yesterday, US assistant secretary of state for south and central Asia Robert Blake had said in New Delhi that the United States` policy on Modi remains unchanged.
"There is no question of changing or revising or softening. We may revise (visa to Modi) depending on the Indian justice system completing cases against him," he said.
US has earlier refused to give visa to Modi over the 2002 Gujarat riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days