BJP leader OP Kohli to be sworn in as Gujarat Guv today
Zee Media Bureau
Gandhinagar: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader OP Kohli will be sworn in as the 24th Governor of Gujarat on Wednesday.
He will be administered oath by Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya of the Gujarat High Court in Gandhinagar town hall at 6 pm.
Kohli has been appointed in place of former Gujarat Governor Dr Kamla Beniwal, who had frosty relations with Narendra Modi when he was Chief Minister of the state, was transferred to to Mizoram in a reshuffle of governors effected by the government on July 6.
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva was appointed as the additional governor of Gujarat on July 7.
Kohli, who was a Rajya Sabha member from 1994 to 2000, takes over as Governor in Gujarat after 87-year-old Kamla Beniwal was shifted to Mizoram by the Government for remainder of her term till November this year.
A former Chief of BJP`s Delhi unit in 2009, Kohli has been associated with BJP since his student days and was made the president of party`s student wing Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP)- and later became Chief of Delhi University Teacher Association.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa