BJP leading in Gujarat local body polls
Ahmedabad: Initial trends in counting of the
votes polled indicate that BJP is leading in most of the local
bodies in the Gujarat panchayat and municipality elections.
Counting for elections of 24 district panchayats, 208
taluka panchayats and 53 municipalities held on Thursday, is
in progress amidst tight security arrangements.
Out of the total 24 district panchayats, BJP is leading
in 22 while the Congress is leading in two which includes
Gandhinagar and Tapi.
The BJP is leading in 48 taluka panchyats while the
Congress is leading in 19 out of the total 208 while counting
is in progress for other seats.
In the municipalities, the BJP is leading in 20 while
the Congress is leading in five.
There are total of 4,875 seats for district and block
panchayats polls while 1,890 seats for municipalities.
There were 2,074 candidates in fray for district
panchayats, 10,489 candidates for block panchayats and 5372
candidates for municipalities.
The polls have high stakes for the main parties of the
state, as Chief minister Narendra Modi led BJP is keen to
defeat Congress after his party`s win in municipal corporation
polls, while the latter wants to get back at the ruling party.
The BJP, upbeat from the victory of the municipal
corporation polls, campaigned extensively with Modi and other
party leaders addressing three to four public rallies a day
each in different parts of the state.
The Congress had called its national leaders like
Subodhkant Sahay, Sachin Pilot, Jyotiraditya Scindia and state
Congress in-charge Sudhakar Reddy to campaign along with state
Out of 24 district panchayats, Congress had won six in
the last elections. The party had won about 20 block
panchayats out of 208, while out of the 53 municipalities, it
bagged in six.
The BJP won elections to the six municipal corporations
recently, the results of which were announced on October 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks