BJP MLA Vaghaji Patel dies
Kutch: Sitting BJP MLA from Gujarat`s Rapar Assembly constituency, Vaghaji Patel died on Thursday following cardiac arrest, party sources said.
Patel, 55, complained of chest pain at home following which he was rushed to a private hospital in Rapar town where he died, they said.
He had defeated Congress strongman Babu Shah in the 2012 Assembly Elections.
Patel was the chairman of Rapar Area Development Authority before contesting elections on the saffron party ticket.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over his demise.
"Vaghajibhai Patel will be remembered as a committed leader and a dedicated MLA. Condolences to his family on his demise. RIP (Rest In Peace)," Modi wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
With Patel`s demise, BJP`s strength in the 182-member Legislative Assembly is down to 118 from the 119, while the number of Congress legislators stands at 56.
In addition, there are two GPP and NCP legislators each, one JD(U) MLA and one independent MLA in the House.
Patel`s demise will necessitate a by-election for the Rapar Assembly seat in Kutch district.
- China's PLA releases 1st hip-hop music video to attract youths
- Must watch VIDEO: Is this the most amazing six in IPL history?
- Manohar Parrikar may lead BJP's campaign for Goa 2017 polls: Tendulkar
- UNBELIEVABLE: Woman steals 24 beer cans by hiding them under her skirt - Watch CCTV video
- Toddler rescued 4 days after Kenya building collapse