BJP questions timing of submission of SIT report
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday questioned the "timing
of the submission" of the Special Investigation Team`s final
report on 2002 Gujarat riots at a time when assembly elections
were on in Uttar Pradesh and how Congress leaders could
comment on a report which lay sealed in the court.
"We as a political party are very concerned, certainly,
about the timing of the submission, especially in the light of
the Uttar Pradesh elections which are ongoing," BJP
spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
"The submission at this time raises a lot of questions.
And we are anxious if this is going to lead to any kind of
unwarranted tension," she added.
Sitharaman also raised questions how Congress leaders
were speaking about the report when its content was given in a
sealed cover in a court.
"Without seeing (the report), they are ready to comment
on the functioning of Gujarat government. It just shows their
desperation to get into power in Gujarat at any cost without
winning the confidence of the people," Sitharaman said.
Sitharaman also said BJP had not seen the report and did
not know how others could speak about the content of the
"We have not seen the report, it has been submitted
in a sealed envelope, I don`t know who is getting copies of
it. How are copies leaked, we don`t know," the BJP
She also sought an explanation from the government
regarding media reports which said that a meeting took place
between DMK`s Dayanidhi Maran, against whom the Enforcement
Directorate had registered a case, and the Finance Minister.
"This information has come through the media and it
raises a lot of questions. The Finance Ministry, I hope, will
come out with an explanation as to what transpired in this
meeting," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai