BJP questions timing of submission of SIT report
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday questioned the "timing
of the submission" of the Special Investigation Team`s final
report on 2002 Gujarat riots at a time when assembly elections
were on in Uttar Pradesh and how Congress leaders could
comment on a report which lay sealed in the court.
"We as a political party are very concerned, certainly,
about the timing of the submission, especially in the light of
the Uttar Pradesh elections which are ongoing," BJP
spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
"The submission at this time raises a lot of questions.
And we are anxious if this is going to lead to any kind of
unwarranted tension," she added.
Sitharaman also raised questions how Congress leaders
were speaking about the report when its content was given in a
sealed cover in a court.
"Without seeing (the report), they are ready to comment
on the functioning of Gujarat government. It just shows their
desperation to get into power in Gujarat at any cost without
winning the confidence of the people," Sitharaman said.
Sitharaman also said BJP had not seen the report and did
not know how others could speak about the content of the
"We have not seen the report, it has been submitted
in a sealed envelope, I don`t know who is getting copies of
it. How are copies leaked, we don`t know," the BJP
She also sought an explanation from the government
regarding media reports which said that a meeting took place
between DMK`s Dayanidhi Maran, against whom the Enforcement
Directorate had registered a case, and the Finance Minister.
"This information has come through the media and it
raises a lot of questions. The Finance Ministry, I hope, will
come out with an explanation as to what transpired in this
meeting," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'