BJP should demand resignation of Modi, Shah: Gujarat Congress
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Congress on Tuesday said the BJP should demand resignation of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and general secretary Amit Shah from the party in the wake of alleged illegal snooping of a woman.
"If there is any morality left in BJP, the party must first ask Modi and Shah to resign in the same way as former leader Sanjay Joshi was `forced` to resign in the wake of alleged sex scandal," Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly Shankarsinh Vaghela told reporters here.
Vaghela was referring to two investigative portals, Cobrapost and Gulail, which had claimed on November 15 that former Minister of State for Home and Modi`s close aide Amit Shah had ordered illegal surveillance of a woman at the behest of one "saheb".
They had released taped conversation purportedly between Shah and an IPS officer to back their claim, but said that its authenticity could not be confirmed.
Vaghela further said that whenever any scandal breaks out, BJP demands resignation of opposition MLAs or ministers on the grounds of morality.
"That is why, we are asking the BJP, if they have any morality left in the party, they should demand the resignation of Modi and Shah in the wake of illegal surveillance incident," the MLA from Kapadvanj said.
The party would organise protests and agitational programmes in case no action is taken against the two leaders.
Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia said that a sitting Supreme Court judge should probe the alleged illegal surveillance of a girl.
He said the saffron party cannot get away saying that the surveillance was carried out in the interest of the girl.
"If the surveillance was in the interest of the girl and for providing security to her, why was it going on even in her bedroom. Why was the boy to whom she was engaged spied on? Why was suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma`s phone conversations tapped?" he asked.
Vaghela stated that the entire episode throws light on the real face of BJP and the party`s character and said Gujarat government has used state machinery for personal uses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand