BJP to invoke `Gujarati pride` to win maximum Lok Sabha seats
Ahmedabad: The BJP has decided to invoke "Gujarati pride" to woo voters and win maximum seats in Lok Sabha polls, where it did not fair as well as it did in the Assembly Elections.
The party is set to unleash a campaign from Tuesday, going to the people to make a plea and invoking pride of having a Gujarati as a possible prime minister of the country, BJP spokesperson Harshad Patel said.
The party has coined slogans like "fulse apdi chhati jyare vadapradhan hase ek Gujarati (there will be pride in our hearts when one Gujarati will be PM)` and "Let us make our Narendrabhai our PM”.
Though the BJP scored impressive victories in the consecutive Assembly Elections, when it came to Lok Sabha polls, the party remained neck-and-neck with the Congress.
In the 2004 Lok Sabha elections, the BJP had won 14 seats while the Congress had bagged 12 out of the total 26 in the state. In 2009, the Congress had won 11 while BJP emerged victorious on 15 seats.
On the contrary, during Assembly Elections held in 2002, 2007 and 2012, people gave a thumping majority to BJP.
Now, in a bid to win maximum number of Lok Sabha seats from the home state of Modi, poll campaign managers of the Gujarat BJP have decided to bank upon "performance, popularity and pride" factors.
"Though we do not personally know Satya Nedella, who has been made the CEO of Microsoft, we take pride in the fact that he is an Indian. In the same way, Gujaratis, who are not associated with the BJP, also are taking pride in the fact that one among them could become the prime minister of the country," Patel said.
"Pride has been associated with our earlier leaders who made it big on national level, like Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and Morarji Desai," he said.
"Even some of those associated with the Congress have told us privately that it would be great to have a Gujarati as the PM of the country," he further said.
"From today we are going to people with our programme `dhandan` (donation), for which a slogan has been coined - `Ek Vote Kamal pe Note`. During this door-to-door drive of donation collection, we will also invoke Gujarati pride and appeal people to make Modi the PM," Patel said.
The BJP has set a target to win all the 26 Lok Sabha seats of the state during the elections to be held in April/May this year, where winning every single constituency will matter for Modi to reach the magical figure of 272.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference