BJP used Gujarat PSU money to fund poll campaigns: Congress
Gandhinagar: Opposition Congress on Wednesday alleged the ruling BJP had diverted a huge amount of money from state-run Gujarat State Petroleum Corp (GSPC) to fund the party`s election campaigns in the last three years, a charge strongly refuted by the Anandiben Patel Government.
Launching a direct attack on the BJP government in the Assembly, Leader of Opposition Shankersinh Vaghela demanded setting up a joint committee of MLAs to investigate what he claimed "scandal" at GSPC involving its financial affairs.
However, the Government contested Vaghela`s charges and asserted the Congress leader has not carefully read the balance-sheet of the state PSU.
"As per the annual report of GSPC (2013), the company spent a total of Rs 304 crore between 2011 and 2013 as `Miscellaneous Expenses`. I see a scandal in this. You can`t spend Rs 304 crore as miscellaneous expenses," said Vaghela.
The former CM was speaking in the House on budgetary allocations to the Department of Energy and Petrochemicals.
"GSPC is not a private property of a party. Why such huge amount has been shown under miscellaneous expenses exactly when elections were about to held in the State?
"At that time, we used to wonder how BJP manages to fund its extravagant campaigns. Now, we can see how it was done. I demand that a joint (bipartisan) committee of MLAs should be formed to investigate the matter."
Energy Minister Saurabh Patel claimed Vaghela is misleading the House.
"The money debited under `Miscellaneous Expenses` is actually the repayment of loans taken by GSPC. Since there is no separate head for repayment, we have debited it under miscellaneous. Otherwise, we have not incurred any miscellaneous expenses," Patel said in his statement.
"It seems our LoP hasn`t read the balance-sheet carefully. We have just followed the guidelines of RBI. There is no truth behind the allegations that this money was used for election campaigns," he maintained.
The Congress MLA also raised questions on partnership agreement between GSPC and Canadian firm Geo Global Resources.
"Geo never had any expertise in gas exploration even though it was made a 10 per cent partner in GSPC. As per the annual report, GSPC is yet to recover Rs 1,350 crore from Geo. Where has this money gone. I can smell corruption in this," alleged Vaghela, citing CAG report attached to GSPC report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey