BJP workers want Modi to contest LS poll from Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Most BJP workers in Gujarat want the party`s Prime Ministerial nominee Narendra Modi to contest the Lok Sabha election from the state.
This was conveyed to the state BJP during an exercise carried out to elicit views of local leaders on candidate selection for all the 26 Lok Sabha constituencies in Gujarat, party sources said today.
The consultations with local leaders on candidate selection ended here yesterday. While there is a suspense on the constituency from where Modi will contest, BJP poll observers found that workers from Ahmedabad West, Gandhinagar (now held by veteran L K Advani) and Surat want the CM to fight from these seats.
"Most of those (leaders/workers) who came from Ahmedabad West said they wanted Modi to contest from their constituency," said an observer who took part in the exercise.
Gandhinagar and Surat seats also saw the clamour for Modi, the sources said. Asked about the issue, state BJP President R C Faldu claimed several seats in Gujarat were safe for Modi. "There are many seats in Gujarat from where he can contest and easily win. But no decision has been taken yet (on seat for Modi)."
"Our party had sent observers to all constituencies to get the views of the people. They have listened to probable candidates and in the coming days they will prepare a report.
"Based on the report, state parliamentary board will form a panel of names and send them to the central parliamentary board for a final decision. It`s too early to predict the final candidates," added Faldu. Gujarat will vote in Lok Sabha election on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- EPL: Leicester striker Jamie Vardy agrees new contract with Premier League champions
- Govt mulls converting unused airports into SEZs
- India's NSG membership to be discussed at special session in Seoul tonight
- Check manabadi.com for BIE Telangana/TS Board Intermediate 1st Year / 2nd Year Examination Results 2016, Telangana BIE Class 12 Supplementary Results 2016
- 34 PhD holders and 12,000 engineers apply for 4th grade job in MP