BJP workers want Modi to contest LS poll from Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Most BJP workers in Gujarat want the party`s Prime Ministerial nominee Narendra Modi to contest the Lok Sabha election from the state.
This was conveyed to the state BJP during an exercise carried out to elicit views of local leaders on candidate selection for all the 26 Lok Sabha constituencies in Gujarat, party sources said today.
The consultations with local leaders on candidate selection ended here yesterday. While there is a suspense on the constituency from where Modi will contest, BJP poll observers found that workers from Ahmedabad West, Gandhinagar (now held by veteran L K Advani) and Surat want the CM to fight from these seats.
"Most of those (leaders/workers) who came from Ahmedabad West said they wanted Modi to contest from their constituency," said an observer who took part in the exercise.
Gandhinagar and Surat seats also saw the clamour for Modi, the sources said. Asked about the issue, state BJP President R C Faldu claimed several seats in Gujarat were safe for Modi. "There are many seats in Gujarat from where he can contest and easily win. But no decision has been taken yet (on seat for Modi)."
"Our party had sent observers to all constituencies to get the views of the people. They have listened to probable candidates and in the coming days they will prepare a report.
"Based on the report, state parliamentary board will form a panel of names and send them to the central parliamentary board for a final decision. It`s too early to predict the final candidates," added Faldu. Gujarat will vote in Lok Sabha election on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened