`Bloody` birthday celebrations of Gujarat minister
Surat: Gujarat Food and civil supplies Minister Narottam Patel turned 77 amidst a novel celebration, where he was weighed with blood (`Tula Daan`) on a weighing scale decorated with flowers.
The celebration was organised apparently to impress the Patel community, a big vote bank in the election-bound Gujarat.
BJP party workers and his supporters for last couple of days had organised a blood donation camp across the city.
They reportedly collected 70 litres of blood to counter balance the minister`s 70 kg body weight on the massive weighing scale, for the bizarre celebration.
On one side of the scale sat the Minister with all smiles over the novel felicitation, and on the other hand an ice box filled with blood bags was placed, party sources said.
A senior minister in the Narendra Modi-led government, Patel turned 77 yesterday and was weighed with blood last night, sources said.
Buoyed by the act, the minister said he felt honoured.
Trying to draw mileage from the celebration, the minister drew parallels with freedom fighter Subash Chandra Bose and stated that he (Bose) had once said "Tum Mujhe khoon do mein tumhe azaadi doonga".
"I will fight for them (the people), considering that they have given me their blood," Patel said.
The blood bags collected by his supporters were handed over to various blood banks in the city.
Earlier, in a similar show of strength, BJP leader RC Faldu was weighed with blood by his supporters about two years ago, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'