BMW hit-and-run: Accused withdraws bail petition from Gujarat HC
Ahmedabad: Vismay Shah, the accused in last month`s BMW hit-and-run here that left two persons dead, on Thursday withdrew his bail petition as the Gujarat High Court was inclined to reject it.
Justice AS Dave maintained that it was not proper to give bail at this point of time as investigations into the case are underway and the chargesheet not yet filed.
Following this, Shah, through his counsel Prakash Thakkar, withdrew his bail application.
During the argument, Thakkar said that the mishap was unintentional and that the two persons riding a bike, who died in the accident, were coming from the wrong side.
Shah had moved the High Court after his bail application was rejected by a sessions court on March 11.
The lower court had rejected the bail application based on reports submitted by RTO and the forensic lab that the BMW car, carrying a Chandigarh registration number, clocked the speed of over 135 kmph when it knocked down the bike.
On February 25, Shah (27) had allegedly rammed his BMW into the motorcycle carrying two persons in the Judges Bungalow area of the city, flinging them off the two-wheeler.
Shah was booked by police under IPC Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder).
While, Shivam Dave (25) - who was riding the bike - died on the spot, his friend Rahul Patel, a pillion rider, succumbed to his injuries later at a private hospital.
According to police, the car dragged the bike for about 35 metres before ramming into a tree, which almost got uprooted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre