Branding of children: NHRC sends notice to Guj gov
New Delhi: The NHRC has issued notice to
Gujarat government on alleged branding of children with hot
metals in Kutch and Rajkot districts.
The notice came after NHRC took suo motu cognizance of a
media report alleging that children in Vagad region of Kutch
District and some remote parts of Rajkot District in Gujarat
were branded with iron rods, heated nails, wires and incense
sticks in the belief that this way they will be cured of their
afflictions and diseases.
Most of the victims of this practice are children upto 15
years of age, the NHRC said quoting reports.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the
press report, if, true, raised a serious issue of violation of
human rights of children.
"A notice has been issued to the Chief Secretary, the
Government of Gujarat calling for a report. He has been asked
to inform where such inhuman custom is prevalent in the state
and what remedial steps have been taken by the administration
to stop it," an NHRC spokesperson said.
According to the media report, the spokesperson said,
this inhuman and cruel medieval custom of branding a child is
prevalent in this region for ages.
"A child already suffering from ailments is subjected to
branding more than once which only increases their pain. This
practice leaves permanent physical and psychological scars on
their young minds," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert