Branding of children: NHRC sends notice to Guj gov
New Delhi: The NHRC has issued notice to
Gujarat government on alleged branding of children with hot
metals in Kutch and Rajkot districts.
The notice came after NHRC took suo motu cognizance of a
media report alleging that children in Vagad region of Kutch
District and some remote parts of Rajkot District in Gujarat
were branded with iron rods, heated nails, wires and incense
sticks in the belief that this way they will be cured of their
afflictions and diseases.
Most of the victims of this practice are children upto 15
years of age, the NHRC said quoting reports.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the
press report, if, true, raised a serious issue of violation of
human rights of children.
"A notice has been issued to the Chief Secretary, the
Government of Gujarat calling for a report. He has been asked
to inform where such inhuman custom is prevalent in the state
and what remedial steps have been taken by the administration
to stop it," an NHRC spokesperson said.
According to the media report, the spokesperson said,
this inhuman and cruel medieval custom of branding a child is
prevalent in this region for ages.
"A child already suffering from ailments is subjected to
branding more than once which only increases their pain. This
practice leaves permanent physical and psychological scars on
their young minds," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed