Building collapse victims` eyes give sight to four
Vadodara: Despite the despair and shock of the death of his brother and nephew in the twin building collapse here, a city resident has donated their eyes which will now enable four people to see the world.
A team of doctors at a government run hospital here yesterday transplanted the cornea of - Mahadev Raju Nayar (42) and his son Vignesh Mahadev Nayar (14) - in four visually challenged persons, said Dr Vijay Shah, a medical practitioner and former chairman of the standing committee of Vadodara Municipal Corporation(VMC).
Eleven people, including Mahadev and his son, were killed in the building collapse accident yesterday at Madhavnagar locality in Atladara area here.
Deceased Mahadev`s elder sibling Mohan Nayar said, "It was the wish of my brother and his son to donate their eyes after their death. Though I have lost my dear ones in this tragic mishap, I feel satisfied in carrying out their wishes and restoring eyesights of four others who will be able to see the world and thus keep memories of the deceased alive."
"The corneas of both the father and son were quite healthy and suitable for transplantation," Shah said.
Praising the gesture of the Nayars, Shah said, "Nayar family has set a precedent that should be emulated by all. Motivating the relatives of terminally-ill patients, and even accident victims, has emerged as the biggest challenge for health authorities."
Meanwhile, in another humble gesture, a `dahi-handi` programme to celebrate Krishna Janmashtami was called off in the city`s Gotri locality.
An amount of Rs one lakh, saved after the cancellation of the programme, is being donated to a 14-year-old girl who sustained injuries while her parents died in yesterday`s building collapse accident, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in