By dragging Patel`s name, Modi trying to polarise voters: Cong
Ahmedabad: Congress on Monday accused Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of dragging the name of Ahmed Patel into electioneering ahead of Gujarat Assembly polls because he "wanted to play the communal card".
Modi has said during his campaign that Congress wants to make Ahmed Patel, the political secretary to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, the chief minister of the state.
"They never had the issue of development in 2002 and 2007 (elections). Everyone knows what issues they fought on... In 2012 they do not have any issue which can divide the society, or stoke passions. So now the history repeats in 2012 -- they are trying to rake up...Ahmed `Mia` Patel (issue)", Congress poll committee chairman Shankersingh Vaghela said here.
As Patel is a Muslim from Gujarat, Modi was trying to polarise voters using his name, Vaghela said.
"This is disgraceful, and does not behove Modi," he said.
"The political secretary to Congress president, who suggests names of several Chief Ministers in other states, holds a high office in UPA-II. Will he ever be interested in Gujarat?" Vaghela said, alleging that Modi`s remarks came from his "mental perversion".
"To mislead the people, he targets Delhi, Ahmed Patel," Vaghela said, adding that it was not the Centre that was doing injustice to the state, but it was the Modi government which had meted out injustice to the state`s people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof