CAG finds glaring loopholes, irregularities in SSNNL
Gandhinagar: Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam
Ltd (SSNNL) implementing the ambitious Narmada project in
the state has diverted irrigation funds worth Rs 1833 crore
for some other work which delayed creation of irrigation
potential in the Narmada project canal command area, according
to the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) report
tabled in the state assembly today.
The report, has found glaring irregularities and
loopholes in the accounts of the SSNNL.
"The project cost increased substantially from Rs
6406.04 crore at 1986-87 prices to Rs 35,045.75 crore at
2005-06 prices," CAG has observed in the report.
The report added: "The company diverted accelerated
irrigation benefit programme (AIBP) funds worth Rs 1833.12
crore meant for development of the main canal and distribution
network to other areas of the project which led to delay in
creation of irrigation potential."
"The completed length of the canal system was only
18803 km against the envisaged length of 90,389 km," noted the
audit authority, adding, "Out of the total envisaged canal
command area (CCA) of 18.29 lakh hectare, the company has so
far developed CCA of 3.41 lakh hectare of which the utilised
CCA remained at 1.2 lakh hectare only."
Moreover, the SSNNL created irrigation potential in
the already water fed areas while it ignored the water scarce
zones like Saurashtra and Kutch, observed the CAG.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US