CAG raps Gujarat govt for excess market borrowings
Ahmedabad: Highlighting lack of prudent fiscal management, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India has criticised Gujarat Government for raising excess market borrowings than required for financing its deficit.
The CAG, in its report for the year ended March 31, 2012, tabled in the state Assembly, also revealed that the state government had in its budget allocations, earmarked more funds for various departments and projects, which, however, it could not spend due to several reasons.
The report points out that government`s expenditure for 2011-12 stood at Rs 80,222.83 crore against the approval of Rs 85,743.21 crore, resulting in non-utilisation of funds worth Rs 5,520.38 crore.
The CAG report stated that during 2011-12, the government raised excess market loans than required for financing its deficit, showing non-application of prudent fiscal management.
"As a result, the cash balance of the state as on March 31, 2012 stood at Rs 18,632 crore, which was 24 per cent higher than that of previous year. The cost of holding surplus cash balances is high. Since maintaining huge idle cash balance is not prudent cash management, appropriate steps should be taken for spending on capital projects for creation of assets," it said in the report.
It has also highlighted the steady increase of the outstanding fiscal liabilities.
"The outstanding fiscal liabilities have shown steady increase over the years, from Rs 96,452 crore at the end of 2007-08 to Rs 1,50,785 crore at the end of 2011-12," it said.
The report has also taken a critical view of government`s financial accountability and budget management for non-spending and non-utilisation of allocated funds.
Pointing out the savings in grant amount of Rs 501.70 crore pertaining to non-residential buildings of roads and buildings department, the report says, "it was on account of higher provision for new works, time consuming tender procedures, delay in preparation of estimates and non allotment of land."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh