CAG raps Gujarat govt for excess market borrowings
Ahmedabad: Highlighting lack of prudent fiscal management, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India has criticised Gujarat Government for raising excess market borrowings than required for financing its deficit.
The CAG, in its report for the year ended March 31, 2012, tabled in the state Assembly, also revealed that the state government had in its budget allocations, earmarked more funds for various departments and projects, which, however, it could not spend due to several reasons.
The report points out that government`s expenditure for 2011-12 stood at Rs 80,222.83 crore against the approval of Rs 85,743.21 crore, resulting in non-utilisation of funds worth Rs 5,520.38 crore.
The CAG report stated that during 2011-12, the government raised excess market loans than required for financing its deficit, showing non-application of prudent fiscal management.
"As a result, the cash balance of the state as on March 31, 2012 stood at Rs 18,632 crore, which was 24 per cent higher than that of previous year. The cost of holding surplus cash balances is high. Since maintaining huge idle cash balance is not prudent cash management, appropriate steps should be taken for spending on capital projects for creation of assets," it said in the report.
It has also highlighted the steady increase of the outstanding fiscal liabilities.
"The outstanding fiscal liabilities have shown steady increase over the years, from Rs 96,452 crore at the end of 2007-08 to Rs 1,50,785 crore at the end of 2011-12," it said.
The report has also taken a critical view of government`s financial accountability and budget management for non-spending and non-utilisation of allocated funds.
Pointing out the savings in grant amount of Rs 501.70 crore pertaining to non-residential buildings of roads and buildings department, the report says, "it was on account of higher provision for new works, time consuming tender procedures, delay in preparation of estimates and non allotment of land."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know