Call to revive movement for separate Saurashtra state
Rajkot: Amid growing clamour for creation of separate states after the Centre gave its nod to Telangana, Saurashtra Sankalan Samiti has raised its pitch for carving out of Saurastra from Gujarat alleging that the state government has "ignored" the region.
"People of Saurashtra are facing shortage of drinking water and even youths are forced to migrate in search of jobs. No development is made along the coastline. If Saurashtra had its own state government the region would have done much better," said Samiti president Parag Tejura.
In 2001 the Saurashtra Sankalan Samiti, a local body of activists, had started a movement to separate the Saurashtra region from Gujarat.
"The region is being ignored by the state government as no development project has come to Saurashtra in more than 15 years," Tejura said, adding that people of the region are not in favour of violent protests.
Saurashtra, located on the Arabian Sea coast of Gujarat, consists of seven districts.
Tejura said the US could make progress because its population was scattered over a number of small states unlike India.
"The US population is around 32 crore but it has 52 states and therefore it can progress well while in India, the population is around 122 crore having only 28 to 29 states," he said.
Vitthal Radadiya, who resigned as Congress MP ahead of 2012 Assembly elections to join BJP, had urged the Centre for separate Saurashtra when he was representing Porbandar Lok Sabha seat.
When contacted, Radadiya said he would put the demand for separate Saurashtra forward to union government at "appropriate" time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA