Campaigning for first phase of Gujarat election ends
Ahmedabad: Campaigning for the first phase of Gujarat Assembly elections ended on Tuesday with Chief Minister Narendra Modi signing off by taking a dig at Rahul Gandhi who finally hit the campaign trail in the poll-bound state.
While main players in the fray -- BJP, Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) -- had been slugging it out to woo voters all these days, Rahul`s appearance on the last day of the campaigning brought the two leaders, often being dubbed as prime ministerial candidates by their supporters, face-to-face.
Addressing a rally at Sanand near Ahmedabad, the Congress general secretary attacked Modi calling him a "marketeer" who indulged in a "false propaganda".
He also addressed public meetings at Jamnagar and Amreli in politically crucial Saurashtra in the span of four hours.
On its part, the ruling BJP under Modi left no stone unturned to give a last and decisive push to attract voters.
The Chief Minister, who has launched a poll blitz with an average of 8 rallies a day, hit back at Rahul for invoking Mahatma Gandhi in one of his rallies, saying "If Rahul Baba is walking on Gandhiji`s path, why is Bapu`s one wish is incomplete - to disband Congress after Independence?"
On Congress` part, party chief Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and a battery of senior leaders including Ahmed Patel, Manish Tewari, Mukul Wasnik, Anand Sharma had addressed rallies.
In the first phase on December 13, a total of 1,81,77,953 voters will decide the fate of 846 candidates, including 46 women, for 87 Assembly seats spread over 15 districts from Saurashtra and south regions of the state.
The second phase will be held on December 17 and counting of votes on December 20.
In the poll battle, tech-savvy Modi appears to have scored over his opponents by addressing people through 3-D technology at as many as 53 places on Monday and 9 public rallies the next day.
BJP patriarch LK Advani, cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Siddhu, actor Paresh Rawal campaigned for BJP on the last day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar