Campaigning for Surat Assembly by-election ends
Surat: Campaigning for by-election to the Surat-West Assembly constituency, considered to be a BJP stronghold, ended on Monday.
The fight is between BJP`s city unit president Purnesh Modi and Congress`s D L Patel.
The seat has been with BJP for the last 20 years.
The by-election was necessitated by the death of BJP MLA Kishore Vankawala in June.
Campaigning was a low-key affair and Chief Minister Narendra Modi did not turn up, nor did any national-level leader of Congress.
Voting will be held on December 4 and counting on December 8.
There are about 2.02 lakh registered voters. Of the 201 polling booths, 37 have been identified as sensitive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site