Can’t compare Narendra Modi with any creature: Modhwadia
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia on Friday played down the `monkey` remark on Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying he was quoted out of context by the media.
"It has been reported in the media in the last two days that I have compared the Chief Minister with a creature and in particular a monkey, which is false. Every Chief Minister is respectable for us. We cannot compare him with any creature. The monkeys are also our ancestors and we should respect our ancestors. So, this comparison is not correct," he said.
Modhwadia, however, left no stones unturned in taking potshots at Modi, as he said that the latter was not focusing on issues concerning Gujarat in his speeches ahead of the Assembly Elections rather focused on targeting Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
"The media spread the news without understanding to what I was saying. I said that I found no reference on the issues surrounding Gujarat in the speech of the Chief Minister in the last two months," he said, while emphasising that Modi either sharpens his attack on the Gandhi family or Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh in his campaign speeches.
A livid Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) earlier in the day demanded unconditional apology from the Congress Party over Modhwadia`s remark on Modi.
"It is disrespect of the whole state of Gujarat and voters of Gujarat will give a befitting reply through the ballot for the use of such filthy language. The Congress should apologise to the nation and to the people of Gujarat," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told mediapersons in New Delhi.
"We ask Congress chief Sonia Gandhi if she approves of such language," he added, while emphasising that the Congress was frustrated, as Gujarat had become an icon for development, good governance and a non-corrupt regime.
Hinting at the Chief Minister, Modhwadia had earlier compared Modi to a monkey and Manmohan Singh to a lion.
Without taking Modi`s name, Modhwadia said that `you cannot compare lions with monkeys... monkeys keep sitting on trees and challenging lions without realising that he can never be the lion`.
The BJP has filed a complaint against Modhwadia with the Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi