CAT relief for Gujarat IPS officer Rahul Sharma
Ahmedabad: Central Administrative Tribunal
(CAT) has ruled that IPS officer Rahul Sharma was
charge-sheeted with regard to missing CD of phone-call records
relating to the 2002 riots period only on the basis of his
deposition before the Nanavati Commission. CAT has also stayed
the proceedings against Sharma.
It said in the order pronounced yesterday that Sharma
enjoys immunity under section 6 of Commission of Inquiry
Act. The section provides protection from prosecution to the
witnesses with regard to statements made before a commission.
The Tribunal bench of Ashok Kumar and Chameli Majumdar
yesterday admitted Sharma`s petition challenging the
charge-sheet, and stayed all proceedings against him.
The CAT also issued a notice to the state government,
seeking reply to the IPS officer`s petition within two weeks.
Sharma is to file rejoinder within a week thereafter, and next
hearing will be on April 27.
"The admitted position is that Government of Gujarat came
to know about the said CD when the counsel of the government
in the (Nanavati) Commission made the government aware of the
existence of such CD," the bench noted.
Therefore, the statement of the applicant (Sharma)
before the Commission was the basis of preliminary inquiry as
well as framing of all the charges against him, CAT held.
Sharma`s case is that he is being victimised for deposing
before the Nanavati Commission which is probing post-Godhra
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks