CBI busts bribe racket involving custom officials
Ahmedabad: The Central Bureau of
Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday busted a racket involving seven
customs officials allegedly taking bribes from a city-based
Freight Forwarder company for clearing its import and export
consignments from Gujarat.
In the inter-state crackdown, CBI conducted raids in
several districts of Gujarat such as Ahmedabad, Mundra, Surat,
Nadiad, Gandhidham, Vadodara, Junagadh, besides Mumbai and
"An authorised signatory of Ahmedabad-based Freight
Forwarder Company paid huge bribes between July and October
last year at places including Ahmedabad, Mundra and Surat for
obtaining clearance of import-export consignments," a CBI
The anti-corruption wing of CBI Gandhinagar has
registered cases in this connection.
"Cases of bribery have been registered against seven
custom officials in Gujarat comprising superintendent and
inspectors, besides an authorised signatory of the Ahmedabad
based freight forwarder company and two of its employees," a
CBI official said.
"A inspector of customs in Surat tried to burn huge
cash lying with him, before allowing the CBI team to enter his
residence during the search," he said.
"A deep-rooted corruption network exists wherein some
custom house agents and few individuals regularly pay bribe to
officials based on per clearance of consignment," he said.
However, the CBI refused to divulge the names of
custom officials involved in the scam stating that
investigations were underway.
The agency has also seized large quantity of
incriminating documents from the premises of custom officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- 2016 French Open Day 5: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal reach milestones; Serena Williams romps
- Wow! This is how Mukesh Ambani's home Antilia looks from inside
- Donald Trump reaches the magic number to clinch Republican nomination
- Sexism row: Darren Sammy defends 'entertainer' Chris Gayle
- Inexhaustible Rafael Nadal wins 200th Grand Slam match