CBI gets another 3 months to probe Sadiq Jamal encounter case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday granted another three months` time to the CBI to complete its probe in the case of Sadiq Jamal, who was killed in an alleged fake encounter here in 2003.
"Looking at the satisfactory progress of the investigation, CBI is hearby given further three months` time and directed to complete the probe by December 31, 2012," ordered Justice M R Shah today.
DySP and chief investigating officer of CBI in the case Satish Kumar Rathi had filed an application on October 1 seeking more time from the court.
"The investigation, at present, is in a very crucial phase. The agency needs additional time to complete the probe, as directed by the court," argued CBI counsel Yogesh Rawani, who also placed the case diary and other material collected by the agency during the investigation.
In June this year, the Gujarat High Court had granted three months` time and asked the agency to complete the probe by October 2.
In the past three months, the agency had first arrested former Mumbai scribe Ketan Tirodkar, followed by Mehsana DySP Tarun Barot`s arrest on September 25. Both of them are now under judicial custody.
The CBI had also interrogated an IPS officer G L Singhal, who had, as the then SP Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad conducted the investigation in May-June, 2003.
Sadiq Jamal, a resident of Bhavnagar city, was killed at Galaxy cinema area in Ahmedabad on January 13, 2003 by Crime Branch officers.
At that time, authorities had claimed that Sadiq had entered the city with the motive of killing Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Pravin Togadia.
Sabbir Jamal, brother of Sadiq filed a petition in the High Court in 2007 claiming that his brother was killed in the fake encounter and demanded the investigation by CBI in the case. Granting his prayer, Justice M R Shah on June 16, 2011 ordered a CBI probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read