CBI moves SC for shifting trial of Sohrabuddin case
New Delhi: CBI on Thursday approached the
Supreme Court seeking shifting of the trial in Sohrabuddin
fake encounter killing case outside Gujarat, saying relatives
of some accused were prosecutors and judges in the lower
In the petition, the investigating agency has said the
surcharged atmosphere in the trial court because of the
presence of supporters of former Gujarat Minister Amit Shah
and former police officials was another ground for transfer of
the case outside the state.
CBI has also alleged witnesses have been threatened and
kidnapped in the past, making it impossible to hold free and
fair trial in the state.
The agency alleged since high-profile people are accused
in the case, several types of pressure tactics were being
employed to derail investigators from reaching the real
During the last hearing on December 14 last, the apex
court had questioned CBI for making the plea for shifting the
trial of case without filing a proper petition.
"The homework is not done fully. The application has not
been filed (seeking shifting of the case outside the state),"
a Bench comprising Justices Aftab Alam and R M Lodha had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?