CBI registers case to probe Sohrabuddin encounter
Mumbai: The CBI has registered a case against
Gujarat police officials to probe the alleged fake encounter
of Sohrabuddin Sheikh, claimed to be a gangster, and his wife
Kausarbi in 2005.
The CBI took up the case on directions of the Supreme
Court which came down heavily on the Gujarat Government for
failing to conduct impartial investigations and attempting to
"mislead" the apex court by filing conflicting action taken
CBI registered a case yesterday against Gujarat police
officials and others under various sections of IPC including
criminal conspiracy, murder and kidnapping, CBI sources said.
A team would arrive in Ahmedabad tomorrow to take over
the case property from the Gujarat CID department which had
filed a chargesheet against 14 police officials including
DIG D G Vanzara and IPS officers Rajkumar Pandyan and Dinesh
Kumar, the sources said.
The case has turned to be a major embarrassment for the
Narendra Modi Government in the Supreme Court which slammed
the Gujarat government`s probe saying that there were factual
discrepancies in the ATRs and the chargesheet. "We feel that
the police authorities of the state of Gujarat had failed to
carry out a fair and impartial investigation as we initially
wanted them to do.
"It cannot be questioned that the offences the high
police officials have committed was of grave nature which
needs to be strictly dealt (with)," the apex court said while
directing the CBI probe.
The court asked the CBI to probe if there was any "larger
conspiracy" to the killings and submit the report within six
months for its perusal.
Suspended DIG Vanjara and Pandiyan (both Gujarat cadre
IPS officers) besides Dinesh M N (Rajasthan cadre IPS officer)
are the main accused in the case of killing of alleged
gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
Sheikh was allegedly killed by the Gujarat cops with the
help of Andhra Pradesh police claiming that he was planning to
kill Chief Minister Modi.
According to the apex court, though initially the
investigations was proceeding in right direction under
Inspector V L Solanki, subsequently there were attempts to
scuttle the same and mislead the court on the progress.
The court had also lamented that the Gujarat Government
deliberately attempted to mislead the court on the whereabouts
of Sohrabuddin`s wife Kauserbi and their family friend
Tulsiram Prajapati who are also alleged to have been killed by
police to destroy evidence.
The apex court had said that it would be appropriate to
order a CBI inquiry to instil confidence among the relatives
of the deceased and the people as those involved in the crime
are high-ranking police officials.
Supeme Court had rejected the Gujarat Government`s
argument that once the chargesheet had been filed the court
have no power to transfer the investigation to another agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow