CBI registers case to probe Sohrabuddin encounter
Mumbai: The CBI has registered a case against
Gujarat police officials to probe the alleged fake encounter
of Sohrabuddin Sheikh, claimed to be a gangster, and his wife
Kausarbi in 2005.
The CBI took up the case on directions of the Supreme
Court which came down heavily on the Gujarat Government for
failing to conduct impartial investigations and attempting to
"mislead" the apex court by filing conflicting action taken
CBI registered a case yesterday against Gujarat police
officials and others under various sections of IPC including
criminal conspiracy, murder and kidnapping, CBI sources said.
A team would arrive in Ahmedabad tomorrow to take over
the case property from the Gujarat CID department which had
filed a chargesheet against 14 police officials including
DIG D G Vanzara and IPS officers Rajkumar Pandyan and Dinesh
Kumar, the sources said.
The case has turned to be a major embarrassment for the
Narendra Modi Government in the Supreme Court which slammed
the Gujarat government`s probe saying that there were factual
discrepancies in the ATRs and the chargesheet. "We feel that
the police authorities of the state of Gujarat had failed to
carry out a fair and impartial investigation as we initially
wanted them to do.
"It cannot be questioned that the offences the high
police officials have committed was of grave nature which
needs to be strictly dealt (with)," the apex court said while
directing the CBI probe.
The court asked the CBI to probe if there was any "larger
conspiracy" to the killings and submit the report within six
months for its perusal.
Suspended DIG Vanjara and Pandiyan (both Gujarat cadre
IPS officers) besides Dinesh M N (Rajasthan cadre IPS officer)
are the main accused in the case of killing of alleged
gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
Sheikh was allegedly killed by the Gujarat cops with the
help of Andhra Pradesh police claiming that he was planning to
kill Chief Minister Modi.
According to the apex court, though initially the
investigations was proceeding in right direction under
Inspector V L Solanki, subsequently there were attempts to
scuttle the same and mislead the court on the progress.
The court had also lamented that the Gujarat Government
deliberately attempted to mislead the court on the whereabouts
of Sohrabuddin`s wife Kauserbi and their family friend
Tulsiram Prajapati who are also alleged to have been killed by
police to destroy evidence.
The apex court had said that it would be appropriate to
order a CBI inquiry to instil confidence among the relatives
of the deceased and the people as those involved in the crime
are high-ranking police officials.
Supeme Court had rejected the Gujarat Government`s
argument that once the chargesheet had been filed the court
have no power to transfer the investigation to another agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!