CBI seeks lifting of stay on proceedings against Amit Shah
New Delhi: CBI Tuesday sought lifting of stay on criminal proceedings against former state Home Minister Amit Shah in the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case in the Supreme Court which said it cannot pass the order without hearing the parties.
"We cannot vacate the stay. Let us hear the petition," a bench comprising justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan said, while deciding to hear from January 15 onwards the CBI plea and other applications connected with the case.
"No purpose will be served in vacating the stay," the bench further said.
Shah`s counsel Mukul Rohatgi said the matter has come before the court, a day before his client (Shah) is going to file his nomination paper for the upcoming Gujarat Assembly elections.
CBI advocate Vivek Tankha said because of the stay in the Prajapati case, the trial in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter killing case has also come to a halt, though both the cases were the result of different transactions.
The Supreme Court had on October 18 stayed further proceedings against Shah in Prajapati fake encounter case and had sought response from the CBI on his plea contending that Prajapati murder case is part of Sohrabuddin Sheikh`s fake encounter case and they should be heard together.
When the matter came for hearing, the CBI said it has already filed its response but Gujarat Government and Shah`s counsel replied that they have not been supplied with the copies of the affidavit.
During the hearing, the bench said CBI was actually seeking vacation of stay in the Prajapati case.
Shah had argued there was no need for a separate FIR in the Prajapati case as the case came to light during the CBI probe into the Sohrabuddin`s fake encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves