Centre may step in to resolve Guj-cops impasse: PC
New Delhi: Centre on Friday expressed concern
over Gujarat government`s action against two senior IPS men
locked in a confrontation with it over the post-Godhra riots
and said it can intervene if the affected officers want so.
"It is a matter of concern," Home Minister P Chidambaram
told reporters at the GoM Media briefing when asked whether
the Centre was concerned with the tug of war between the
police officers of Gujarat and the state goverment over the
Asked whether the Centre can intervene to resolve the
crisis, the Home Minister said, "Rules do provide for central
government to take certain decisions at certain stages but
that stage has to be invoked by officer concerned. If officer
concerned invokes the rule, certainly we will look into it."
The Home Minister`s reaction comes in the backdrop of
Gujarat police action against IPS officers Sanjiv Bhatt and
While Bhatt, who had filed a PIL before the Supreme
Court against the Narendra Modi goverment over Godhra issue,
was suspended a few days back, a DIG rank officer Rahul Sharma
was issued a show cause notice for giving CDs of call records
during the violence to various agencies including SIT.
BJP reacted sharply to the Home Minister`s remarks with
senior party leader Arun Jaitley saying, "It is a state matter
and BJP has serious objections on the statement. If policemen
break discipline, the state government can take action. If
there is unnecessary interference by the Government of India,
BJP will raise the issue seriously."
He said taking disciplinary action against police
personnel facing serious allegations was the duty of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30