Centre reneging on its promise on Dandi yatra route: Modi
Navsari (Guj): Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday accused the Congress-led UPA government of reneging on its promise made in 2005 of developing the historical Sabarmati-Dandi stretch, taken by Mahatma Gandhi for the salt march as "heritage route".
"In 2005, to gain political capital on the 75th anniversary of the Dandi march, the UPA government organised an event. Senior Congress leaders came to Gujarat for photo opportunities. Keeping aside political differences, our government welcomed all because it was an occasion, which gave inspiration to the nation," Modi said, in his address on the occasion of Gujarat`s 53rd Foundation Day here.
"On that occasion, the PM declared that the Sabarmati-Dandi route which Gandhiji travelled on would be declared `heritage marg`," Modi said.
"The Prime Minister had declared Gandhiji`s exact route would be built as heritage marg (route), but now the government write us to name the existing government road as heritage road and not the original route taken up by Mahatma Gandhi," he said adding that the letter says that original route will cost too much to government exchequer.
Modi accused the Congress of not following Gandhiji`s path and trying to change Gandhiji`s path as well.
"Congress leaders claim to walk on Gandhiji`s path but that has never happened. Now they are forcing Gandhiji to change his path," Modi said.
Modi asked the Union government to fulfill the promise, which the Prime Minister had made to the nation.
"You had made a promise to the nation... No individual who has read India`s history, no Gujarati will tolerate government`s efforts to change Gandhiji`s path," Modi said.
Modi requested the Central government to not view history through the prism of money. He said "I hope that the PM and the Central Government not view this in terms of money for history cannot be viewed in terms of money, it is an inspiration..., a bridge to the future."
Stressing on the importance of the Dandi March in Indian history, Modi said, "The way salt is important in a person`s life, similarly the role of the Dandi movement is very important in our freedom struggle. Let us not reduce the importance of this event."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH