Centre`s interest in food security only for votes: Modi
Surat: A day before the Union Cabinet is slated to consider an ordinance to implement the ambitious National Food Security Bill, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday accused the Centre of caring only about votes and not abiding by the Supreme Court`s directives on grain distribution.
"Now for votes, they are talking of various laws...But despite the Supreme Court saying `give grains to the poor`, they did not do that. And what did they do? Gave the rotting grain at 65 paise a kilo to alcohol manufacturers," Modi said at the inaugural function of an agro mall here.
"If they were so bothered about the poor, they should have followed what the Supreme Court said," he said, charging Congress with failure in distributing the grain which lay rotting in godowns.
The poor continue to grapple with soaring prices of essential commodities, Modi said and alleged no action had been taken by the Centre yet on the recommendations of a committee headed by him, constituted at the Prime Minister`s behest two and half years ago to suggest measures to control the price hike.
Modi said one of the recommendations was trifurcation of Food Corporation of India, with separate entities in charge of procurement, management and distribution but it was not acted upon.
A similar trifurcation of power sector in Gujarat led to phenomenal results, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey