Centre`s interest in food security only for votes: Modi
Surat: A day before the Union Cabinet is slated to consider an ordinance to implement the ambitious National Food Security Bill, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday accused the Centre of caring only about votes and not abiding by the Supreme Court`s directives on grain distribution.
"Now for votes, they are talking of various laws...But despite the Supreme Court saying `give grains to the poor`, they did not do that. And what did they do? Gave the rotting grain at 65 paise a kilo to alcohol manufacturers," Modi said at the inaugural function of an agro mall here.
"If they were so bothered about the poor, they should have followed what the Supreme Court said," he said, charging Congress with failure in distributing the grain which lay rotting in godowns.
The poor continue to grapple with soaring prices of essential commodities, Modi said and alleged no action had been taken by the Centre yet on the recommendations of a committee headed by him, constituted at the Prime Minister`s behest two and half years ago to suggest measures to control the price hike.
Modi said one of the recommendations was trifurcation of Food Corporation of India, with separate entities in charge of procurement, management and distribution but it was not acted upon.
A similar trifurcation of power sector in Gujarat led to phenomenal results, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic