‘Chandigarh, Vadodara safest cities in country’
Vadodara (Gujarat): Vadodara has emerged as
the second safest city in the country after Chandigarh and
first in Gujarat in an online survey of 37 cities conducted by
a global market research firm.
As part of the online survey done by YouGuv between
Aug 23 and September 28, more than 6,000 respondents were
asked to rate a particular city on various parameters, like
crime rate, law enforcement, terror attacks to name a few, if
they are residents or recent visitors to the said city.
"This web site took several parameters in
consideration before endorsing Vadodara as the second safest
city in the country," Vadodara police commissioner Satish
Sharma told agency.
Devising a system for monitoring response to
complaints, intense patrolling besides increased number of
police control vans are some of the factors that went in
favour of the city, he said.
As per the police records of 2009, the murder rate for
population of one lakh in the city stood at 1.6 as against the
average of 2.7 of all Indian cities, while it was 1.7 in
comparison with the national average of 2.7 in
The rate of rape in Vadodara during the said period
was 0.4 compared to 1.6 in other cities, while rate of
abduction was 2.2 against national average of 5.0. The rate of
robbery was 1.4 as against average of 4.8, the survey said.
"207 persons were detained and seven others were
extradited from the city this year," Sharma said.
With addition of 56 police sub inspectors in the
police force and filling up of vacant posts of deputy
superintendent of police, there will be further improvement on
the law and order front, Sharma said.
"We have been receiving a number of messages from NRIs
after reporting of a murder of a 55-year-old woman Surekha
Shah staying lonely in her bungalow in Akota locality in the
city on 16th Nov and police arresting three youths involved in
it," he said.
The NRIs were expressing concerns over safety of their
parents staying in the city and appreciating police for taking
prompt steps in nabbing the culprits involved in such cases,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes