‘Chandigarh, Vadodara safest cities in country’
Vadodara (Gujarat): Vadodara has emerged as
the second safest city in the country after Chandigarh and
first in Gujarat in an online survey of 37 cities conducted by
a global market research firm.
As part of the online survey done by YouGuv between
Aug 23 and September 28, more than 6,000 respondents were
asked to rate a particular city on various parameters, like
crime rate, law enforcement, terror attacks to name a few, if
they are residents or recent visitors to the said city.
"This web site took several parameters in
consideration before endorsing Vadodara as the second safest
city in the country," Vadodara police commissioner Satish
Sharma told agency.
Devising a system for monitoring response to
complaints, intense patrolling besides increased number of
police control vans are some of the factors that went in
favour of the city, he said.
As per the police records of 2009, the murder rate for
population of one lakh in the city stood at 1.6 as against the
average of 2.7 of all Indian cities, while it was 1.7 in
comparison with the national average of 2.7 in
The rate of rape in Vadodara during the said period
was 0.4 compared to 1.6 in other cities, while rate of
abduction was 2.2 against national average of 5.0. The rate of
robbery was 1.4 as against average of 4.8, the survey said.
"207 persons were detained and seven others were
extradited from the city this year," Sharma said.
With addition of 56 police sub inspectors in the
police force and filling up of vacant posts of deputy
superintendent of police, there will be further improvement on
the law and order front, Sharma said.
"We have been receiving a number of messages from NRIs
after reporting of a murder of a 55-year-old woman Surekha
Shah staying lonely in her bungalow in Akota locality in the
city on 16th Nov and police arresting three youths involved in
it," he said.
The NRIs were expressing concerns over safety of their
parents staying in the city and appreciating police for taking
prompt steps in nabbing the culprits involved in such cases,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!