‘Chandigarh, Vadodara safest cities in country’
Vadodara (Gujarat): Vadodara has emerged as
the second safest city in the country after Chandigarh and
first in Gujarat in an online survey of 37 cities conducted by
a global market research firm.
As part of the online survey done by YouGuv between
Aug 23 and September 28, more than 6,000 respondents were
asked to rate a particular city on various parameters, like
crime rate, law enforcement, terror attacks to name a few, if
they are residents or recent visitors to the said city.
"This web site took several parameters in
consideration before endorsing Vadodara as the second safest
city in the country," Vadodara police commissioner Satish
Sharma told agency.
Devising a system for monitoring response to
complaints, intense patrolling besides increased number of
police control vans are some of the factors that went in
favour of the city, he said.
As per the police records of 2009, the murder rate for
population of one lakh in the city stood at 1.6 as against the
average of 2.7 of all Indian cities, while it was 1.7 in
comparison with the national average of 2.7 in
The rate of rape in Vadodara during the said period
was 0.4 compared to 1.6 in other cities, while rate of
abduction was 2.2 against national average of 5.0. The rate of
robbery was 1.4 as against average of 4.8, the survey said.
"207 persons were detained and seven others were
extradited from the city this year," Sharma said.
With addition of 56 police sub inspectors in the
police force and filling up of vacant posts of deputy
superintendent of police, there will be further improvement on
the law and order front, Sharma said.
"We have been receiving a number of messages from NRIs
after reporting of a murder of a 55-year-old woman Surekha
Shah staying lonely in her bungalow in Akota locality in the
city on 16th Nov and police arresting three youths involved in
it," he said.
The NRIs were expressing concerns over safety of their
parents staying in the city and appreciating police for taking
prompt steps in nabbing the culprits involved in such cases,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow